Thursday, January 9, 2014

Roger Federer vs Rod Laver: Game Of The Greats

Roger Federer traded shots with his hero Rod Laver on Wednesday in the stadium that bears the Australian great's name.

The 17-times Grand Slam champion enjoyed a few rallies with the 75-year-old, who was dressed in traditional whites and impressed a packed crowd with his movement ahead of Federer's exhibition match with French world number 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
"Hitting with Rod Laver for me clearly is an absolute dream come true," Federer told reporters, "It's in his arena as well, it's named after him and he deserves it so much..  
"While I was playing my racket was feeling extremely heavy, that means I was very nervous which I really was because you don't want to miss a shot.

"I was happy we had some rallies. What an honour it was for me and I hope that the crowd enjoyed it and I'm very thankful that he was willing to do something like this because it's not normal in any way and that's why I really appreciate it."
Later, Roger pleased the crowd with a 6-7(5) 6-3 7-5 win over Tsonga in the fund-raising event for his charity, the Roger Federer Foundation, on Wednesday, January 8th. Roger and Friends raised more than $1 million 



"What a pleasure to play any match here, in particular a match for a good cause," said Federer. "I played some of the biggest matches of my career right here. It’s very special being back. It was a dream come true to play some balls with Rod Laver, spend some time with him, speak with him. The most important thing tonight was to enjoy it, have fun with Jo and get into the mood of the Australian Open. 
"It's a pleasure playing the Australian Open. I’ve been coming for nearly 15 years. This was perfect preparation, but so much more tonight."

A Night With Roger Federer & Friends (starts at 4m00) - FULL Replay! (Thanks Australian Open!)

"I’m really pleased to be here tonight," said Tsonga, speaking to Hewitt. "To help Roger is always an honour. I played well. It was a good match tonight. It’s always tough to play against Roger. It’s great to be here tonight for a great cause."
(Eurosport)

xo K

No comments:

Post a Comment